Retraite Québec 

  Home > Life events > Starting to work

You previously participated in a Supplemental Pension Plan (SPP) as an employee of an organization now covered by the RREGOP or the PPMP

Plans concerned: The RREGOP and the PPMP

Here are answers to questions often asked by people who have a new position in the public or parapublic sector and previously participated in a Supplemental Pension Plan (SPP).

Click on the topic of your choice:


Membership in Your Public-Sector Pension Plan

Is membership in the pension plan offered by my new employer mandatory?

Yes. Membership in the pension plan is an integral part of your working conditions.

Do I have to fill out a form to become a member of the pension plan?

No. Your employer will provide us with all the information regarding your membership in the plan. Your employer will also collect your contributions to the pension plan on our behalf.

Do I have to contribute to my pension plan throughout my entire working career?

Yes. You will contribute to your pension plan until you have accumulated the maximum service (40 years as at 31 December 2018), without taking into account the years during which you acquired a pension credit This link will open in a new window. or a paid-up annuity This link will open in a new window..

Note that, even if you did not accumulate the maximum service, you can no longer contribute to your pension plan after 30 December of the year in which you turn 69 if you participate in the RREGOP, or 71 if you participate in the PPMP.

Where can I find details on my pension plan membership?

For more information on your participation in your public-sector pension plan, consult your personalized Statement of Participation, which you receive every year. This simple tool helps you plan your retirement.

Your statement summarizes your public-sector pension plan participation using the most recent participation data provided by your employer. The data provided is for the period until 31 December of the year indicated on your Statement. In addition, it shows you the benefits to which you could be entitled when you retire or your employment ends.

Your statement also informs you of your rights and benefits regarding your participation in a public-sector pension plan, such as the days of absence that you can buy back. That information makes it possible for you to assess how a buy-back of your days of absence will affect your pension and when you retire using the Buy-Back Cost Estimator tool.

You will need your statement:

  • for an overview of your retirement income under your public-sector pension plan;
  • to plan your retirement;
  • to use our Buy-Back Cost Estimator tool to assess how a buy back of your days of absence will affect your pension and when you retire;
  • to use our Pension Estimator tool to obtain other retirement scenarios;
  • for when you meet with your financial planner.

How can I obtain the participation data for all the years during which I contribute to my pension plan?

The Statement of Contributions contains the history of your participation data. You need to request it by filling out the form Application for a Statement of Contributions This link will open in a new window. (008A).


Membership in Your Former Supplemental Pension Plan

I previously participated in a supplemental pension plan. What is that exactly?

Certain health and social services institution and educational institution employees were members of various pension plans before the RREGOP or the PPMP became applicable to their employer. These plans, called Supplemental Pension Plans (SPP), were administered by insurance companies for instance, and not by us.

What happened to the contributions I paid in that supplemental pension plan?

If your supplemental pension plan contract provided that the funds could not be transferred, the insurance company that administered the plan still holds your contributions and your employer’s contributions to the SPP. The company will pay you pension benefits in accordance with the clauses in your contract, probably when you turn 65, but you must apply for them. This is what we call a paid-up annuity This link will open in a new window..

However, if the funds were transferred to us, you have what is called an SPP Pension Credit. Thanks to that pension credit a certain amount will be added to your pension paid by your pension plan.

Do you take into account my years of membership in the supplemental pension plan?

Yes. However, they will be used only to determine your eligibility for benefits and not to calculate the amount of the basic pension you will receive from your pension plan.


Useful Link


To Learn More About Your Public-Sector Pension Plan