Retraite Québec 

  Home > Life events > Starting to work

Prior to enrolling in your current plan, you participated in the pension plan of an organization not covered by the RREGOP

Plans concerned: The RREGOP and the PPMP

Here are answers to questions often asked by people who have a new position in the public or parapublic sector and previously participated in the pension plan of an organization not covered by the RREGOP or the PPMP.

Click on the topic of your choice:


Membership in Your Public-Sector Pension Plan

Is membership in the pension plan offered by my new employer mandatory?

Yes. Membership in the pension plan is an integral part of your working conditions.

Do I have to fill out a form to become a member of the pension plan?

No. Your employer will provide us with all the information regarding your membership in the plan. Your employer will also collect your contributions to the pension plan on our behalf.

Do I have to contribute to my pension plan throughout my entire working career?

Yes. You will contribute to your pension plan until you have accumulated the maximum service (40 years as at 31 December 2018), without taking into account the years during which you acquired a pension credit This link will open in a new window. or a paid-up annuity This link will open in a new window..

Note that, even if you did not accumulate the maximum service, you can no longer contribute to your pension plan after 30 December of the year in which you turn 69 if you participate in the RREGOP, or 71 if you participate in the PPMP.

Where can I find details on my pension plan membership?

For more information on your participation in your public-sector pension plan, consult your personalized Statement of Participation, which you receive every year. This simple tool helps you plan your retirement.

Your statement summarizes your public-sector pension plan participation using the most recent participation data provided by your employer. The data provided is for the period until 31 December of the year indicated on your Statement. In addition, it shows you the benefits to which you could be entitled when you retire or your employment ends.

Your statement also informs you of your rights and benefits regarding your participation in a public-sector pension plan, such as the days of absence that you can buy back. That information makes it possible for you to assess how a buy-back of your days of absence will affect your pension and when you retire using the Buy-Back Cost Estimator tool.

You will need your statement:

  • for an overview of your retirement income under your public-sector pension plan;
  • to plan your retirement;
  • to use our Buy-Back Cost Estimator tool to assess how a buy back of your days of absence will affect your pension and when you retire;
  • to use our Pension Estimator tool to obtain other retirement scenarios;
  • for when you meet with your financial planner.

How can I obtain the participation data for all the years during which I contribute to my pension plan?

The Statement of Contributions contains the history of your participation data. You need to request it by filling out the form Application for a Statement of Contributions This link will open in a new window. (008A).


Transfer of Funds From a Previous Pension Plan to Your New Employer’s Plan

I’ll be starting a position in the public sector soon and I know that I’ll immediately become a member of the RREGOP. Can I have the years of service accrued under my previous pension plan recognized by the RREGOP?

If your previous employer came to a transfer agreement with Retraite Québec, you can have the years of service that you had accrued under your new public-sector pension plan recognised.

For that purpose, you must consult the list of agencies and plans affected by a transfer agreement, as well as the eligibility requirements and the steps to take.

Since the eligibility requirements for transfers vary with the agreements concluded between Retraite Québec and the various organizations, you should talk to the pension plan administrator at your new place of work as soon as possible after starting your new position. This person generally works in the human resources department.

If I have the funds accumulated under my former employer’s pension plan transferred to my new Public-Sector Pension Plan, how will it affect the pension I will receive?

It depends on the provisions of your former employer’s pension plan and the transfer agreement under which the funds will be paid into your new plan.

The years of service credited under a transfer agreement are considered years of membership in your new pension plan. All of your years of service will be used to determine your eligibility to benefits and all or part may be used to calculate the amount of those benefits.


Useful Link


To Learn More About Your Public-Sector Pension Plan